Living in Columbia, you’ll see some crazy temperature fluctuations that make it pretty hard to adjust your air conditioning accordingly. Here are a few tips to help ensure that your A/C is running efficiently:
- Your A/C does not cool when the temperature outside is cooler than the setting. For example, if it’s 70 degrees outside and your A/C is set to 74, it will not kick on unless you’re doing something funky (like hot yoga) that drives the temperature inside higher than 74 degrees.
- Make sure your A/C is set to “auto” or else it will keep running consistently (therefore increasing your electricity bill).
- Communicate with your roommates! If your A/C is on but your roommate has their window open, the unit will have to work extra hard to cool the place down (once again, increasing your electricity bill).
Make sure you’re following us on social media! This is where you’ll find announcements, office shenanigans, and opportunities to win prizes!
Summer Like a Local
Whether you’re going home or staying put for the summer, take advantage of all our community has to offer! Summers can be a great chance to enjoy the area in some new and different ways. With the hectic pace of school, many students miss out on opportunities to get involved and have fun in their local community during the academic year — it’s time to change that! From festivals to parks and local attractions, below are some ways you can summer like a local. As a bonus, most of them are either free or very affordable!
- Do something touristy
- Visit a farmers market
- Check out a local sporting event
- Visit your Chamber of Commerce website to find out about local attractions
- Find a calendar of nearby fairs and festivals
- Enjoy Fourth of July festivities and fireworks
- Hike or bike a nearby trail
- Volunteer with a local organization
- Have a picnic
- Go to an outdoor movie or concert
- Run or walk a local 5K
We’ll also be planning events and activities for you throughout the summer, and if you need ideas for other fun things to do in the area, please let us know. We have information on area resources and a local calendar of events on hand to give you plenty of options. Have a memorable and fun summer!
Potting Party — June 5 @ 6 p.m. — Come by the office to decorate a small pot. We’ll have paints and different types of seeds to plant inside your pot once they are decorated. This is a great way to spruce up your porches for the summer.
Father’s Day Raffle — June 6–13 — Need a gift for your dad? Enter our raffle for the chance to win a great Father’s Day package.
CPR Training — June 20 @ 3 p.m. — We’ll be offering a free CPR class in the gym for anyone who would like to be certified. Stop by the office to sign up!
Basketball Tournament — June 24 @ 1 p.m. — Let’s see how well you can HOOP it up at our basketball tournament. 3v3 knockout games, and winners will take it ALL. Sign up in the office.