Fall is here! However, the temperatures are still warm! While living in Columbia, you’ll see some crazy temperature fluctuations that make it pretty hard to adjust your air conditioning accordingly. Here are a few tips to help ensure that your A/C is running efficiently:
- Your A/C does not cool when the temperature outside is cooler than the setting. For example, if it’s 70 degrees outside and your A/C is set to 74, it will not kick on unless you’re doing something funky (like hot yoga) that drives the temperature inside higher than 74 degrees.
- Make sure your A/C is set to “auto” or else it will keep running consistently (therefore increasing your electricity bill).
- Communicate with your roommates! If your A/C is on but your roommate has their window open, the unit will have to work extra hard to cool the place down (once again, increasing your electricity bill).
Make sure you’re following us on social media! This is where you’ll find announcements, office shenanigans, and opportunities to win prizes!
Tips on Living with Roommates!
Perhaps one of the greatest advantages of living in a Campus Advantage community is the opportunity to live and work closely with all types of people. We know that living with roommates isn’t always easy, whether you moved in with friends or were matched up with new people. Either way, it’s perfectly normal to have the occasional roommate conflict, and there’s actually a lot to be gained from handling a difficult situation maturely and respectfully.
We want to make sure you have the tools to handle these situations should they arise, so check out the tips below to ensure you and your roommates have the best living experience possible this year:
- Schedule a roommate meeting: Set up a time for all roommates to get together and have a proactive conversation about each person’s preferences and expectations when it comes to cleanliness, guests, sleeping/study times, the use of others belongings or food, etc.
- Be open minded: You and your roommates may be very different, and that’s OK! Stay open minded and positive about your roommates’ views and experiences, and you may end up learning a lot about them and yourself in the process.
- Give each other space: Even though your apartment is made for multiple people, everyone appreciates having space to themselves once in a while. Make sure you’re sharing time in common areas and respecting each other’s privacy.
- When in doubt, talk it out: Most problems can be solved by just talking through the issue before it gets out of hand. If something is seriously bugging you about one of your roommates, bring it to them in a mature one-on-one conversation before bringing in other roommates or escalating the situation. Passive-aggressive behaviors won’t help.
- Divide responsibilities: While every roommate should commit to cleaning up after themselves, determine the best way to divide other responsibilities, such as taking out the trash, vacuuming, cleaning the kitchen, etc., to ensure everyone plays their part.
- Use conflict resolution backup: While talking can usually fix an issue in its early stages, sometimes a more structured approach is necessary. If you’ve tried and feel your efforts aren’t helping resolve an issue between roommates, reach out to your Community Assistant or the management team to help you brainstorm options. The management team is trained and willing to help conduct a roommate mediation process if necessary, but is also happy to provide you with tips and tools to handle it yourself.
We want you to have a successful living experience while at our community, but we know that living with roommates can mean an occasional difference of opinion. When roommates decide to communicate their expectations, listen and try to understand each other, and care about each other’s well-being, the many great memories you make will outweigh any small conflict you may have.
- Building Canned Food Drive — September 6–13 — Let the wars begin! At the end of the week, the building with the most canned food in the box will win a pizza for each apartment.
- Culture Night — September 10 — This is one of our favorite events! Come by the office to taste foods from a different culture!
- Care Packages — September 11 — Stop by the office to assemble a care package for our troops!
- Waffle Wednesday — September 12 from 10–11 a.m. — Why not start your morning off right with some waffles! Come by the office for FREE WAFFLES.
- Swag Day — September 13 — Who doesn’t like free things? Stop by the office to spin the wheel to win free Redtail swag!